First thought about establishing the Faculty of Education
The first conversation about establishing the Faculty of Education (Faculty for Teachers) were held during the preparations for the new law about Masaryk University.
Decree of the President of the Republic on Education of Teachers No. 132/1945 Coll.
“Teachers of schools of all grades and types receive education at Pedagogical and other faculties (departments) of universities. The establishment of these faculties (departments) will be adjusted separately.”Decree of the President of the Republic No. 132/1945 Coll.
Establishing the Faculty of Education at Masaryk University
The new faculty was created and the first dean was appointed František Trávníček.
First professorial appointments
Outside 3 regular professors, who were already professor before 1948, dr. Karel Galla, Eduard Milén and Josef Trtílek and 3 extraordinary professors dr. Zdeněk Hájek, dr. Josef Hrabák and dr. Theodore Martinec, newly became members of the faculty, were entrusted with lectures and seminars: FrFrantišek Trávníček, Vilém Chmelař, Antonín Bělař, František Doubrava, Josef Dvořáček, Josef Kabrda, Karel Koutský, Karel Kubíček, František Kubišta, Helena Puchljaková, František Svěrák, Bohumír Štědroň, Růžena Tesařová, Karel Uhl, Bohumil Urban, Karel Vondráček, Jindřich Závodník.
Establishing the distance studies for teachers in active service
In 1950, faculty seminars were reorganized into departments and departments were established, such as the Department of Czech Language and Literature, the Department of History, Geography and Civics, the Department of Biology and others.
Separation of the faculty from the University framework and its reorganization to the Higher Pedagogical School in Brno
In 1953, the Faculty of Education was separated from the University and in 1953–1959 it was transformed into the Higher School of Education.
In 1959 the Higher School of Education was transformed into a pedagogical institute, while in 1959-1964 the teaching was provided by the pedagogical institutes of Brno, Jihlava and Zlín.
Resumption of Faculty of Education
In 1964, the Faculty of Education was renewed and became a part of the University, led by prof. RNDr. Josef Trtílek.
Reform of study – teaching of general subjects in education was intoduced also for secondary schools
Since 1977, the new education system introduced four-year study for first-level teachers and five-year study for second-level teachers and secondary school teachers.
Inauguration of the new building Poříčí 9/11, the first building built for the faculty
Inauguration of the new building Poříčí 31a, the Center of Research Institutes and Doctoral Studies (CVIDOS) and the Central Library of MU
Opening of the Kafinet café
On 18 February 2019, the Kafinet café was opened in the building at Poříčí 31, which serves as a training café for people returning to working life after a mental illness.
New faculty canteen
A canteen was opened in the Poříčí 7 building along with a new student club. The cost of construction exceeded 40 million CZK.