About the department
Welcome to the pages of the Department of Czech Literature, Faculty of Education, Masaryk University.
You will find here:
- professional information about the members of the Department of Czech Literature,
- information about programmes and fields of study offered by the department in cooperation with the Department of Czech Language,
- information about professional activities of the department,
- information about the projects worked on by members of the department.
You will find the Department of Czech Literature on the fourth floor of the old building of the Faculty of Education – Poříčí 7, Brno.
The Department of Czech Literature participates in preparation of students in the following programmes:
- pre-school and education out of school hours,
- specialization in education,
- teacher for primary and lower secondary schools.
In cooperation with the Department of Czech Language the department organizes within the framework of lifelong education the study of Teacher of Czech language and literature for upper secondary schools.
In the area of education in literature the department offers courses in the history of literature (older Czech literature, Czech literature of the 19th and 20th centuries), theory of literature, textology and literary criticism. In correspondence with the professional profile of the department it offers a large number of courses in Czech and world literatures for children and youth and didactics of literature, but it also offers courses devoted to interpretation of literary texts, artistic presentation and education in media.
Throughout the studies the department accentuates not only gaining knowledge from individual disciplines, but also knowledge of the literary and cultural context and the basics of literary studies, including the ability to write one´s own scholarly text (a review, literary studies, etc.).