About the department
Welcome to the pages of the Department of Czech Language, Faculty of Education, Masaryk University.
You will find here:
- professional information about the department´s staff and students of doctoral programmes,
- information about the programmes and fields of study which the department provides together with the Department of Czech Literature or which it participates in providing,
- information about events organized by the department,
- information about projects currently solved by the department´s staff.
You will find the Department of Czech Language on the fourth floor in the old building of the Faculty of Education – Poříčí 7, Brno.Web: Department of Czech Language
Linguistic courses within the programmes and fields of study with Czech language and literature provided by the department give graduates a comprehensive overview of the contemporary Czech language, its phonic properties and grammatical structure, about the Czech vocabulary and the stylistic stratification of contemporary Czech, as well as about the standards used in spoken and written communication in various communicative situations and fields of human activity.
The basis of the linguistic part of the field of study comprises disciplines of contemporary Czech, gradually supplemented with knowledge about its historical development as well as about the development of Slavonic languages and later also by knowledge from special disciplines, particularly onomastics (a discipline dealing with proper nouns) and dialectology (a discipline studying dialects). An integral part of teaching the Czech language is didactics of Czech language and style, based on application of knowledge and skills gained in theoretical linguistic disciplines.
Members of the department take part in teaching the following fields of study:
- Teaching assistant of Czech language and literature for primary and lower secondary schools (Bachelors programme),
- Czech language and literature with a focus on education (Bachelors programme),
- Teacher of Czech language and literature for primary and lower secondary schools (follow-up Masters programme),
- Teacher for primary schools,
- Teacher for kindergartens,
- Social and pedagogical assistant.
In cooperation with the Department of Czech Literature the Department of Czech Language also arranges the fields of study in the programmes of lifelong education focused on the extension of a teacher´s qualification with a further specialization for lower secondary schools (Teacher of Czech language and literature for lower secondary schools) or extension of the qualification of teachers for lower secondary schools with a qualification for upper secondary schools (Teacher of Czech language and literature for upper secondary schools). Within the framework of supplementary pedagogical programmes the Department of Czech Language provides the field of study of Czech Language for Educators, designed particularly for teachers and educators working in the Czech Republic who have gained their qualifications at Slovak universities.
In the course of the whole study the emphasis lies on approaches to solving contemporary issues of language and spoken culture, on an ongoing discussion about codification and on attitudes to standard and non-standard language. What is not neglected is also the role of the Czech language and its teachers in developing the competence of cultivated expression in various fields of activity and professions.